Friday, April 29, 2005

Strike One

Apparently last night, while I was offline, I received my first negative comment on this blog. Ordinarily I would not post someone's comment like this on my blog. Yes, even if it was negative and nasty. But you see, this comment is not from a real person. Yes, the person who left the comment exists somewhere, but not in this identity.* Huh? You see I was feeling a tad bit upset that someone was offended about my previous post about spam, so I went to click on the link to visit their site and see who I had offended and to say I was sorry if they were offended by the way that I expressed my views. I clicked on the link to be taken to http://lollygirlxxxx4.blogspot.com. And this is what I found. Hmmm... A blank page. How curious. So I looked at the page source. For those who don't know looking at a page source on blogger, you may be able to find the person's blog ID number. Then you can view their profile, if it is public, along with any other blogs they publish (or are group blogs they are on) associated with that ID. This is what popped up. Does anyone see something that is a little bit off? Look closer. I didn't find any blog ID number, but I did see a link that when I read it too quickly caused me to pause. Yes, I thought that there were some extra letters in that end link. Wouldn't that be too funny. Someone who claimed to be offended by my post, would in turn be linking to something someone else might, themselves, find offensive. I did look at the ISP for the poster. (As apparently they keep track of such things when you post comments, hey, who knew?) What I did find out was that the person is using cox.net. I'll let you make of that what you will. Let other "sick and perverted"** minds link that together with the spam. Go on, I dare ya. You are either rolling on the floor with laughter right now, or rolling your eyes in disgust. What's the point about this whole thing? Yes, I was upset that someone was offended. I could have just let the whole thing slide. You know, being American and getting the "freedom of speech/religion/opinion/etc." stuff spoon fed to me as a child. But something in me felt that I had to apologize for my opinion***. What in the world? Looking at the whole situation, I know I am taking it too personally, but it is hard not to do so. But this hiding of identity, hiding behind anonymous names or dead end links with made up identities, could be construed as offensive. Dang it. Maybe I am the one who should be offended. That the person posting felt that they had to comment, yet not be honest about saying hey this opinion is mine, this is who I am. More than likely this was just a random visitor to the blog, having clicked on the next blog link no doubt. So they may never come here to read this bit of insane ranting. (I call it as I see it.) But if they ever do wander back this way... Let me just say that I post, I comment and I do so as me. I may use an online name to do so, but everything I do online is connected to this name, this identity. It is a part of me, and I represent myself in the blindingly horrible oh-my-god-I-can't-look-away-from-this-horror-of-a-wreck that comprises my life. Even with this name I am me, and I am not ashamed of it or myself. And if I ever get the chance to post on your blog, I will do so as me with a link leading not to a dead end, but to a life, lived in unabashed pride in the "sick and perverted"-ness of it all. *Since the URL appears to lead to a dead end, I am posting it. Seeing as how this person will not receive any nasty comments or emails in turn. Hiding behind a wall as it were, they will not be getting pelted with rotten tomatoes. **Yes, I felt compelled to correct the spelling of "peverted" to "perverted". ***If at any time, place, etc. ad infinium you are offended by any thing I say or do, I apologize. Let me make a blanket apology now, as who in the world knows when I will regain my senses and curl up into a little ball in some remote corner and not move a single millimeter, just so that I do not offend. (I swear I use deodorant!) Unless, of course rolling oneself up into a little ball is offensive to you, then I apologize for that as well.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since it is your blog, and your comments, you do as you want. If someone is offended, they should not post something so stupid and random, back the hell out and don't come back! I think they went over this in C'ville, some poor girl deleted her blog because someone was offended at her posts, and that is the thing, IT IS YOURS! DO WITH IT AS YOU WANT!!!

4/29/2005 3:11 PM  
Blogger Kellie said...

Believe me, I am not going to be deleting my blog due to a person's comments.

I visit other people's sites and if I do not like what I read there, I leave and I do not read any more. I believe that people are intelligent enough that they can do the same.

I am sorry that people may find my posts offensive, but they are mine. And I will continue to post, offensive or not. I don't want to be rude, but anyone who is reading my blog and doesn't like it, simply move on. I am sure that you will find another one out there that you would enjoy reading.

4/29/2005 3:46 PM  
Blogger none said...

Spammers suck! (Is there a pun in there....oops!) The person that posted that comment is probably 14 years old.

4/29/2005 4:03 PM  
Blogger Deneen said...

Cindy-

I remember my first "negative comment". I was upset too, I even wrote to the person and halfway through my defending myself letter, I said "what the hell are you doing". Of course, I then sent the "I am who I am letter" and told her if she didn't like it, don't read my blog.

I didn't think your comment was particularly peverted or even perverted, but perhaps that's because I am peverted a bit myself.

So, smile, keep posting, and like Popeye said "I yam who I yam"!

4/29/2005 6:00 PM  
Blogger none said...

OMG! I was kind of just kidding about the 14 year old comment. Then, I though I would subscribe to her blog on bloglines and when I did her last 2 posts showed up and now I think she is about 13.

This is the description she wrote about her blog. "This is a blog about an average person in middle school. Do not be alarmed if some things sound wierd. You know girls just wanna have fun!"

So, now we know.

4/29/2005 8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once let someone and her friends' nasty comments harrass me into "private-dom". I couldn't win. If I deleted the comment or blocked the commenter, they then sent me a nasty email making it sound like I was the bad one for removing/blocking the comments. The way I see it? I pay for the service I use to get online. The day someone else pays for it, then they MIGHT have a say in what I do. Unfortunately, with blogs that are on popular services like Blogger, I notice a lot of "comment spam". I used to have a Bravenet journal and it was filled with it - either in comments or on the tag board. I miss the features but AOL is exclusive about people needing an AIM/AOL/Netscape/Compuserve name in order to leave comments, so it keeps some of the riff raff out. Unfortunately, I have come across some Blogger journals for which I'd love to leave a comment but can't because they won't allow anonymous or "other" comments. For that, I had to create a Blogger account (SHooser1). If I find something in a journal that I like, I'd like to let the writer know that I appreciate their work and writings. But if there is something I don't like, I know I don't have to read it. In short, that took some nerve for that person to leave you that comment and then to hide from it.

4/29/2005 8:32 PM  
Blogger Kellie said...

Wendy-- I never thought of going on bloglines to see if there is a feed. I will do that in case I ever need to investigate again. So some middle schooler who is no doubt between 10-13 is the one who was offended. Honestly what is this child doing on the net wandering around unsupervised? Sheesh. I noticed that she posted there as "Ashley" and in my comments as "Nanya". Makes me wonder if she is a middle schooler, or just someone who started up a blog a fake blog in order to be able to comment on other blogs, then erased all their entries.

Deneen-- It's nice we can be perverted together. Err... Not like how that sounded though. ROFL!

Sheila-- Hopefully this is a one and done deal, but you never know. It is a shame how there is even spammer content on people's blogs. If they have something to sell, let them get thier own blogs and put it up there. I know that brosing on the "nexty blog" link in blogger I came across many of those sites that were nothing but advertisements. And what did I do? I just went on to the next blog. Didn't like it, went on by. Wow. That's so easy. Lol.

4/29/2005 9:20 PM  
Blogger Ro said...

yeah...before reading all the comments here about this person's age...I was sitting here reading and thinking, either this person is a spammer or is like 13 and really immature LOL. I mean, who gets offended over SPAM?

Maybe her family produces spam for a living LOL.

Or maybe she thought you were talking about the canned meat variety? LOL

don't change a bit. you're you, the only you there is. we like you just the way you are, just like mr. rogers used to! Boy did I relate to the apologizing for apologizing thing, done that so much of my life. trying to kick that now tho LOL

hugs!
ro

4/29/2005 11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home