Friday, April 22, 2005

Knitted Headbands

Since my youngest hasn't enough hair for barrettes, etc. I thought it was high time to whip up some kind of accessory that would stay put. Thus a headband sprang to mind. And of course if you make one for one daughter, you must make a second for the other.
I used Sugar 'n Cream yarn to make these. The fabric comes out quite stretchy. I have found that the yarn can be machine washed and dried, despite what the label claims. It shrinks back into shape nicely.
KNITTED HEADBAND ©21 April 2005 by K. Anne Rohrer Materials: Worsted Weight Cotton Size US 5 (3.75 mm) Knitting Needles Size F-5 (3.75 mm) Crochet Hook Abbreviations: kfb - Knit in the front & the back of the stitch. k2tog - Knit two together. Directions: Measure the person from bottom of ear up over top of the head and down to the bottom of the other ear. This is the length of the headband that you will knit from cast on until ?. Once you reach this measurement, go to the decrease row. (My headbands average around 17 inches.) Pattern: Cast on 3 stitches, knit across for 4 rows. Row 5: kfb on the first stitch, k the next stitch, kfb the last stitch. Rows 6-?: Knit each row until desired length is reached. Decrease Row: k2tog, k the next stitch, k2tog. Last 3 Rows: Knit all. Fasten off. For ties: Insert crochet hook into the middle of the first row of stitches. Pull yarn through and chain 55 stitches. Fasten off and tie knots into the bottom of the chain to prevent unraveling from use. Repeat on the other side of the headband. Weave in all ends. THE FINE PRINT: This pattern may not be copied and distributed on any other site. You may, however, link to this pattern. Patterns may be printed for personal use only, not for distribution. Copies of this pattern may not be sold. Finished objects made from this pattern may be sold.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOLD ON! I thought you were a crocheter, and all of a sudden you are posting knitting patterns! ACK! I am thinking about buying the book, "The crocheters guide to knitting", I have not been able to get the hang of two sticks.

4/22/2005 4:16 PM  
Blogger Kellie said...

I am a crocheter! But I also learned how to knit last month. I also loom knit, which I taught myself how to in January.

I tried learning to knit from a CD-rom, but my knitting kept twisting. I needed a live person to show me. I happened to run into a very nice woman who took a half hour of her time to teach me how to cast on & knit & purl. Then I went to the CGOA/TKGA convention that was in my area at the beginning of the month and learned how to use double pointed needles. It was strange having FIVE needles all jumbled up in there.

My first knitting pattern, albeit a simple one. I am quite proud that I have been able to make things without patterns (so far) like I do in crochet.

Don't worry, I am not going to abandon crochet. I like them both!

4/22/2005 10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home