Saturday, April 23, 2005

One is the Loneliest Number

Before going to the convention I went on a hunt for needles for the class I was to take. During that hunt I happened upon one of my local* yarn shops. There amidst the miles and miles of novelty yarns was one lone skein of Noro Silk Garden. A pearl among the gaudy masses. I asked the owner if she had any more, as the skein could have been separated from it's brethren. She said that she had a difficult time getting the distributor to send her the yarn, so she was no longer going to carry it. Having heard the rave reviews online from people who have used this yarn, I was quite curious. And no way was I going to let that poor little skein languish all alone and forgotten. I snatched that bad boy up and told him that I would give him a new home and that we'd have many hours of quality time together. Since he was the last of his kind, I got a discount and only paid $8.00. (I love a bargain!) Now I sit here staring at that lonely little skein. Knowing that I can not back out of my promise to it. The same question keeps repeating itself over and over again in my mind. Just what in the world do you make with only one skein of Noro? Any suggestions out there? *There are a handful of shops within an hours drive of my home, so I consider them to be local. The one closest to me is very tiny with a very poor selection of yarns. The second closest is the one mentioned in this post and seems to be the breeding ground for nothing but novelty. Very frustrating when one wants to see the likes of Rowan, Sirdar, Debbie Bliss, Cherry Tree Hill, etc. and is only faced with insubstantial ladder and glittering fur. Sorry your baby sweater looks like a hooker's hand-me-downs, but that's all they had. Look on the bright side, when the sun hits the fabric just right you'll be able to work on your tan.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

there have been many bloggers writting about what to do with 1 skein of noro, maybe do a search of check out knitting.livejournal.com

I personally think its WAY over priced. I made a sweater with it and was SHOCKED by the amount of breaks (tied horribly) and slubs.

I don't think it's worth the money, but its very unique yarn!
- pixie @ pixiepurls.com

4/27/2005 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home