Thursday, April 21, 2005

Son of the Beach Bag

When I sent in my contribution to my daughter's school raffle the teachers ooohed and aaahed over it. Then the one teacher who had me make the baby blanket liked it so much that she wanted one too. She picked the colors for Penn State, navy and white. I told her that since they did not make a variegated yarn in those colors that I would make it striped.
At the time I had no idea how I was going to work out the striping. But then the more I thought about it, it started to make sense that the mesh panels should be the lighter color. Then the navy would be used in the places that would get the most use. She wants to use the bag to go back and forth to football games and such. I figured a mostly white bag would get dingy awfully quick. I think that the striping worked out well. I can see making another bag with a variegated and a solid and using the solid as the mesh. I did procrastinate on making this bag. I had told her it would be done on last Friday. So on Thursday I finally started to crochet it. I had to frog it twice due to errors. Then I stayed up until 5 am crocheting it. I slept for 2 hours then got up to finish crocheting the second handle and then wove in all the ends. I was so afraid that the teacher would not like it. But my daughter assured me that it was met with rave reviews and happy smiles. Whew!
***UPDATE*** Many people have asked what pattern was used to make the bag. It is one of my own design. You see when I found out my daughter's class was having a beach theme for the basket they were putting together for the raffle I thought of making up a bag. So I just winged it. I did (at that time) write down the pattern for the handles only, but forgot to take notes on what I did for the rest of the bag. So this one turned out a tad bit larger than the other one. I did write down what I did for the second bag. However I need to make up the pattern a few more times to get the kinks out of it and come up with a consistent product.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

I just love that bag! The striping is wonderful!

4/22/2005 1:48 AM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Smart idea using the dark color on the bottom with the lighter in the mesh section - turned out very cute!!

4/22/2005 5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful !! I would love to have the pattern when you get it all worked out.....please...please....lol
Making bags is one of the things I like to make the best.

LuCee from S. Ga.

4/23/2005 5:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home