Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Who Ordered the Wontons?

I did! I ordered... Err... Made the wontons. That's right, I followed my very first knitting pattern. (Enthusiastically tosses knitting needles up into the air...) ACK! (Runs like heck.) Whew! Guess I should know better than to toss pointy sticks up in the air. Not like I'm playing lawn darts or anything. Heehee. Anywho... I was browsing Knitty looking for an easy pattern that I could whip up fast and then crow about my knitting genius put my paltry learned knowledge of knitting to work. I saw the Feline Dim Sum and knew I had to make one for my little alley cat.
I followed the pattern directions and cast on 30 stitches and worked up my square. When I was done it seemed huge for a cat toy, even though it was the 5" specified in the pattern. So I had the brilliant idea of just casting on 15 stitches. This gave me a teensy tiny square about 2 1/2 inches. I gamely sewed them up and stuffed them with my Mother's home grown catnip. The larger square came out a hefty size, and the smaller square is fit for a kitten. While the tiny one is cute, it kind of looses the whole "wonton" shape.
I also tried tucking the top point in-between the sewn triangle ends. Sort of reminds me of a tortellini. I am considering making more of these as kitty gifts. However I am going to try a 20 stitch cast on. This will hopefully make a size between the two. One that I would be happy with. Faster knitting = More output. I am thinking of making these, the egg roll and a fortune cookie and placing them into little see-thru take out boxes. Just thinking of it makes me want to coo "It's sooo cute!" I also got a tip from a fellow blogger that cats love valerian. Apparently there are cats out there who do not like catnip. Mine have always been crazy for the nip, so I have never come across it as a cat owner. Stacey told me that even cats who hate catnip go nuts over valerian. So perhaps a catnip-valerian mixture is the way to go. Apparently valerian is also used in tea to help promote sleep. So something that puts us to sleep jazzes up our cats. What else is new? Lol.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kellie said...

Stinky socks? No wonder they love it! Who has not found a cat curled up in the dirty laundry. Yuck. Thank goodness the valerian won't be for me! Lol.

4/04/2005 11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home