Thursday, March 24, 2005

Ripple Folly

You would think having made a pattern three times I would pretty much have it down pat. I mean, after a time it becomes second nature, right? Not! It all started with the counting. Having 180+ chains to make and then counting the single crochets of the first row which should be 1 less than the number of chains could drive anyone batty. Add in a husband who knows you are counting, and keeps trying to ask you questions (said husband was noticeably quiet when there was no crocheting being done) and you get a lot of frogs. I ripped out the first two rows two times. Then I thought I finally had it. And I went to crochet the third row (that starts the ripple pattern) and got all the way to the end. Just to find out that I had miscounted yet again! AAAH! Rip-it... Rip-it... Rip-it. It finally took a trip to the laundromat to be able to count in peace. Hubby wanted his sleeping bag cleaned before going on a fishing trip and I wanted to get the afghan started. In the end, we both got what we wanted. Lol. I am only about 2 skeins of the way in now. Ten more to go. My SIL is quite anxious to get her blanket. But I fear since being sick it's going to take at least another full week of crocheting to get done. Maybe she'll have it before the first day of summer! The funny thing is as I am crocheting it, I am thinking to myself that it would be nice to make one for myself. That would mean counting again. Am I nuts, or what? Yup. Definitely certifiable.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A trick I do when I'm chaining a lot is to take safety pins and mark every 10 to 20 stitches. That way I don't have to go back so far in the counting process. As for hubby's and interrupting the counting process, mine got the look of death one night while I growled "Do you mind? I'm COUNTING!" Since then, if he sees me trying to count something, he quietly backs out of the room! LOL! (yes, I did apologize later).

3/25/2005 12:39 AM  
Blogger none said...

Counting! Yes, that is where I make the most mistakes. I think they try to talk to us because we have these thought provoking looks on our faces. Little did they know we are in deep concentration making sure we don't trick ourselves into mixing up the numbers. Sometimes I am my own worst enemy...

81, 82, 82, i mean uh, 92, oh great. what number was I on again? Oh forget it....1, 2, 3...

3/25/2005 2:13 AM  
Blogger DAWN said...

Great tip from Sheila (I'm gonna try that one). It never fails, if you are 1)in the bathroom
2)on the phone or
3)counting stitces
You WILL be interrupted by spouses and children.

~ DAWN

3/25/2005 9:04 AM  
Blogger sara said...

There should be a support group for crafter's with chatty-while-you-count-hubbies.

3/26/2005 2:58 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

I guess husbands are just like that--mine does it, too. The moment I start doing something that requires counting, he's all chatty!

I do the same thing Sheila suggested, stick safety pins in every 20 or 25 stitches so when I inevitably lose count it's easier to get back on track. I didn't used to, but a thread shawl with a beginning chain of 501 and a first row of 499 dc left me scrambling for *something* to do to keep me from having to count it over and over and over again (though that one wasn't the hubby's fault--I just can't concentrate for long enough to keep from losing count with that many stitches!)

3/30/2005 2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home