Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Just Beachy Got an A

Yesterday My eldest DD comes home from school with a note from the teacher written in her homework assignment book. It was a rave review from said teacher saying how she loved the beach bag I made for the raffle. Then she went on to ask if I could make another one in the Penn State colors, and if so how much it would cost to do so. This morning I sent her a note stating that I could make her a bag like the one I made for the raffle in alternating stripes of navy blue and white solids as I do not have access to a navy and white variegated cotton yarn*. (I have never seen one in this colorway, although I have seen brighter or lighter shades of blue combined with white and/or other colors.) I sent in a price like I did last time with the cost of the yarn and then my fee for labor. (It takes 5 double balls of yarn to make the bag or 10 regular. A little bit less if using solids, but prices change depending on where I buy the yarn, so I came up with a figure that would take all that into account.) I only charged $15 for the labor. The total price comes out to less than what you would buy a lower-end department store. (By lower-end I mean JC Penney and Sears** not Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales, etc.) I think I am probably under charging, but hey, it's still money for the stash enhancement. She already sent in payment, so I need to get busy on it. I am going to send in a note to school tomorrow letting her know that it should be done before the end of next week. I would really like to finish it before Monday, but I need to give myself some leeway. That way if something unexpected happens I have some breathing room. Now to see if I took good enough notes when I made the bag the first time. Now where did I put my scribblings? *I have local access to Lily Sugar 'n Cream, Lion Brand Kitchen Cotton and Peaches 'n Creme cotton yarns. I am sure if I was to go to one of the yarn shops in Philly I might find a higher cost cotton to use that may have the navy/white colorway. Since the first bag is made out of Sugar 'n Cream and she liked that, my best bet is to stick with a winner. **Yes I do shop at JC Penney and Sears, I am not knocking them. But around here when the local mall has Bloomies, L&T, and tons of high end stores, a lot of people start to think of anything you can get for under $100 as quite the bargain. Not that I charge anywhere near that much. Although that would give me tons for stash enhancement. Hmmm... Nah. I'd feel very guilty charging 3 times plus.

2 Comments:

Blogger Yamini Kaur said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4/07/2005 1:49 AM  
Blogger Yamini Kaur said...

Hi Anne,

I love your blog and read it pretty regularly. Envy you fingering so much yarn at the convention.

The buttons you come up with are beautiful.

4/07/2005 1:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home